Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My First (Really???) Comment on Uncommon Descent

I have followed this blog every once and a while but until a friend took the initiative for me, I was never sure about whether or not I should take part in any of the discussions on UD.

Can't believe this is my first comment there...

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

For several years now, I have considered joining a site like this. A friend finally registered me
saying I could use the fresh air, so I guess that settles it.

I would say more but to keep under the radar there’s a limit to what I can say for now. I’ll just
state right now that I’m honored to be a part of a community like this - period.

In terms of physics, I think front-loading should almost universally be the default view for
anyone in the ID camp. So far as we can tell, such constraints have remained the same since
 the singularity.

What I do in my reasoning is I try and take a minimalist view on apparent intervention;
meaning that I start with the assumption that everything is front-loaded. From there I look for
 examples that place a limitation on how far this can go (abiogenesis for instance).

For this reason I totally agree with that last paragraph of yours, life and physics (along with
 chemistry) are in an entirely different class when it comes to the efficacy of front-loading
explanations. Unlike laws, the constituents of life depend on more than just pure existence
to achieve their purpose.

This reminds me of the “Humpty Dumpty” dilemma that Jonathan Wells has highlighted in
the past. Break a cell membrane so the contents leak, and you no longer have a living cell
despite the presence of organic materials.

I think this gives us a clue as to where we can draw the line on front-loading. Simply ask
yourself, “Does the presence of a given law, element, or some set of circumstances allow for
 living systems to thrive or does there appear to be something else added to the picture for
 this to happen?”

As an example, Meyer has repeated countless times the fact that DNA and it’s chemical
 properties by itself cannot arrange into anything functional, hence front-loading loses it’s
 potential in the origins of life.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.16 (MingW32)

iQGcBAEBAgAGBQJNgDojAAoJEAlY1kTu1KLhEsoL/jHiWa/UiWNKhx8wd+utbRjJ
0Fo7ihb8PYiBc7G/V5rv+K27HoO+2sw2hw+HfpAQj5Bx6PFKviXlK7FJw2X5qg0f
cZPwkbO0LcFfiqTN4BgnfCgV3sDnRITQyzI+mbU+U2QqWSzafRWL62arCLovysEY
cppQuNcK5pVcY9lAK6KCA1XY7l/p73/bbPBq3q5cYtO+nq8CLXIxnuyGJ1zFdSPi
T+Z/ex4bm2Lygdjd2STt5wFf/wJ75PscjQVRZHZDLpbQMdbffvFL9uFTWpgLxjDc
h6RIvo4RhjK4p696DoQRpSbxz/oMsP5qssYDEydVJ6l6r3uE+gzwaupwx0/Oyw4e
P/Ja+fghNPExQ/LYnbRxM9p6sooSt4Vfg7bWNR1KBppFOO9JghpVPD7YsCo6yRwA
Bbh36Bf9KhRtzc1HfsYpHg9J3Jg0HfRPS0CaKCFnnWC17SRfT8LbaeM9dG5avRvx
FSR/RBdh6UhGP9sfw8FoWQEhQLSQ7burzdFd7h+I6w==
=kW8b
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that aren't encrypted with my key and are also digitally signed with sender's own key go to the trash. I might skim them for lulz though...

This is the policy given to me by Janus. They don't agree with my views, but since they are willing to protect my real identity this is the least I can do in return.

Crypto-IDEA WA: Don't waste your time here. We have a far more cryptographically secure outpost than this one...