Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fifth/Sixth Comment and more on ENV - Reply to CRW

ieshttp://www.evolutionnews.org/2011/02/lobbyists_resort_to_myth-infor044241.html

I will digitally sign the comments on this post once I turn on my VPN again and paste the signed copies.

Update: Okay, I have done what I have promised.

Here's this comment below, followed by this one thereafter.


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

While I wholeheartedly doubt the alleged efficacy of things such as horizontal gene transfer or
duplication (I think they both just shuffle information that's already there while not producing
anything new), I understand that time and space constraints make that a difficult topic to
address here, but nonetheless the following caught my attention:

"ID is religious but not of a particular religion."

So it's not of any particular religion but it's still religious? Could you elaborate on this?

"To assert "intelligence" logically implies a designer/creator. Call it god, Yahweh, Allah, whatever.
ID requires a designer, which means some supernatural force is required."

I am the intelligence behind this very comment, so by your logic I must be a supernatural entity
right?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.16 (MingW32)

iQGcBAEBAgAGBQJNfVXcAAoJEAlY1kTu1KLh4AEMAIfoB6x8JbqnNUXB9cQZbFhu
3V8FnUhGlXUGecNTy0iW8myPoJbpzo+OGQ6Sk9al96Fr4KzhPkiPnW9vw2+83te3
GHv6ZWKRCd4SF5zbNUROMH16mFKskgQ6pCrKFY3rXu+FMkhCSTpGyJT6WdmZpwLu
HH/vJsxGx7nS3rCJ2O0mmsFL+rQrPOTnfOAyHH5eEL2PaatRjCSDuRuDbYGpLZ0e
M94xRPbpCeJ4atMXNY6D5C6FvIl4vQU8oq9taKBEfHEXb8xUaHHLcW9xi8xQpaWN
ODUbWLugAh1irsLxshbcFVLOdlk8uoLI8eYb1mZgTSPVDMaopdDRxAerWgCarv/Q
P82MyqJOqWHL4RfTSp4eWb4t7A4hoJEJbsM+w6RIuzoHrdAOHu679UljWhrLScDl
QAUxi38KrBUImyfFy4WgNCKHzBZvVUoPw6eHb6DvF7tEO5Jj5id/LYGxZ/T9ZKmz
OHksGH9abW/QM+0H6Gx6lnGRb0Iq8vRLm2OPKi8qPQ==
=cZE+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----





Now the next one:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Now here I find some things worth disputing:

"Unfortunately, there has yet to be a biological trait or attribute that is irreducibly complex. All
of the core examples from ID can be shown to be sliding scales from more to less complex."

This is probably one of the most common misunderstandings of Behe's arguments - he was
not arguing that IC systems are impossible to evolve any more than it's "impossible" to win
the lottery. It might happen, but this is not something we should treat as a real likelihood.

Are you claiming that not a single cellular system is unable evolve piece-by-piece while
retaining the same basic function or are you rehashing Ken Miller's straw man?

I think a good start in clarifying this dispute can be found here:

http://www.discovery.org/a/3408

...the fact the positive mutation is shown regularly in at least microorganisms..."

Can you give me a few key examples? And how do you define "positive" mutation?

I think Ryan has tackled the rest of what I disagree with on your comment but in the
meantime I look forward to your response to what I had said/asked so far.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.16 (MingW32)
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=WaOR
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that aren't encrypted with my key and are also digitally signed with sender's own key go to the trash. I might skim them for lulz though...

This is the policy given to me by Janus. They don't agree with my views, but since they are willing to protect my real identity this is the least I can do in return.

Crypto-IDEA WA: Don't waste your time here. We have a far more cryptographically secure outpost than this one...